Israel has been all over the news recently for its ongoing operations in Gaza and its intensified shelling against Hamas and its operatives. While many blame Israel for being merciless and targeting civilians and military alike, we couldn’t help but come up with a series of points that clearly show, beyond any doubt, that Israel is the true victim in all this mess, and Gaza is the big villain we should be pointing out to.
1. In the past three conflicts that Israel engaged in with Hamas, notably in 2008, 2012 and today, for every Israeli killed, 100 palestinians were murdered. (Economist)
2. Israel has one of the most advanced weaponry in the world, with equipment ranging from state of the art tanks and artillery to fighter jets, long range missiles and the famous Iron Dome that intercepts incoming missiles from the Gaza strip. Israel also is famous for using internationally banned weaponry such as white phosphorus and low grade uranium enriched bombs. Hamas on the other hand, has terrible, horrifying and inhuman low range missiles that barely hit any building and fall most of the time on empty swaths of land inside Israel.
3. Israel is an apartheid state that treats Palestinians as second class citizen, denying them their basic rights, taking away their property, jailing thousands of their people and subjecting Palestinians to unbearable living conditions like police checkpoints in every corner, denied access to public facilities and denial of tax revenues to the Palestinian authorities. (The Hill)
4. Israel has state of the art defense mechanisms, bomb shelters throughout the country and the Iron Dome to intercept incoming missiles from Hamas, while Palestinians have as defense mechanism, well, nothing really…
5. Israel receives military, financial and intelligence support from the USA. According to a report by the Congressional Research, “Israel is the largest cumulative recipient of U.S. foreign assistance since World War II. To date, the United States has provided Israel $121 billion (current, or non-inflation-adjusted, dollars) in bilateral assistance.” Most of the US assistance to Israel has been in the form of military support. Guess how much support Gaza and the Palestinians in general receive? Well besides Egypt choking Gaza to death by imposing blockades and not letting anything pass through the border, not much.
The morale is not to support one side over the other, or to justify civilians being killed or missiles being shot. The morale is that we need to change our perspectives on the conflict and understand that what is happening right now is not a war or a conflict, it is an aggression where the little guys get hammered and where the civilians get most of the heat. Palestinians have been disadvantaged and oppressed in so many ways, from settlements eating on their land to white phosphorus burning their kids and tens of thousands of civilians rotting in Israeli jails. It is time we call on injustice and call things by their name, because it’s easy to blur the lines by throwing terrorist here and islamist there, but at the end of the day, numbers speak louder than speeches and as it stands now, there is only one bad guy out there and that’s Israel!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock